Privacy Statement for OnStar Guardian
Last Updated: November 1, 2019
Your privacy is important to us. This Privacy Statement for OnStar Guardian describes how we, General Motors Holdings LLC and it affiliates (“GM” or “we” or “us”), collect, use, and share information ,when you download this software application (“Application”) to your phone or other Internet-connected device (your “Device”) and when you use the services available through the Application, which may include detecting a crash event in a vehicle in which you are traveling and the ability to initiate a call to OnStar advisors, receive roadside assistance services, and view location and other information of the Devices owned and controlled by the members of your “My Family” group (the “Application Services”).
This Privacy Statement incorporates the OnStar Privacy Statement, which is posted at www.onstar.com/privacy, and which also applies to your use of other OnStar services. Together these privacy statements describe our privacy practices for the Application Services. Capitalized terms, if not defined in this Privacy Statement, are defined in the OnStar Privacy Statement.
Information We Collect
When you install the Application or use the Application Services, we collect:
· Information about you and your account with us, such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, photo, login information, password, and emergency contact information;
· Device information, such as device sensor information, including but not limited to accelerometer and gyroscope data, Device type, Device operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address, unique identifier, Internet service provider, Wi-Fi information, battery level, and phone number;
· Device location information and information derived from your location information, such as speed, heading and driving status;
· Information about your use of the Application, including screen view time, scrolling, specific actions to activate features and/or otherwise navigate the application, reactions to alerts, searches, and your interactions with in-application features;
· Information about you from additional online and offline sources including commercially or publicly available third-party sources; and
· Information you input into the Application, such as phone numbers and emails of individuals from which you have obtained the requisite consent.
We collect and treat this information as described in the OnStar Privacy Statement.
Use of Your Information
We use the information we collect as described in the OnStar Privacy Statement. For example, we use the information to:
· Provide the Application Services;
· Communicate with you about your account or the Application Services;
· To develop new products and services;
· Provide you with marketing offers that may interest you;
· Improve, troubleshoot, and evaluate the use of our products and Services (including the Application); and
· Conduct research.
Restricting the Collection of Location Information
You can restrict our access to and collection of the location of your Device by disabling Location Services on your Device, if that feature is available on your Device. Some of the Application Services require access to and collection of the location of your Device to function. You can also restrict our access to and collection of location of your Device by logging out of the Application.
Sharing of Information
We share your information as described in the OnStar Privacy Statement. For example, we share information with necessary third parties when you use the Application to make requests for third party or related services available through the Application, such as roadside assistance. We may share your information with:
· third party service providers working on our behalf;
· members of your “My Family”;
· emergency service providers;
· individuals specified by you when using the Application, such as emergency contacts;
· others when required by law, and
· those you ask us to share this information with.
We may share the location of your Device when necessary to provide the Application Services to you; to comply with legal obligations; to protect the safety and rights of you and others; for product safety and security purposes; and for the purposes described in the OnStar Privacy Statement.
By using the Application, other members of your “My Family”, now or in the future, may have access to your account information, phone number, device information, driving status, and the location of your Device. You can restrict the sharing of your information with you “My Family” members by turning off Location Sharing in the Application Settings menu.
GM may use device tracking technologies that allow us to identify you on your Device in a unique manner, such as use of IP address or VIN, to gather information about your activity within the Application Services, such as demographic data, browser type, pages visited, activities conducted on the page, and the day and time of your visit. GM uses this information, sometimes across devices, to measure your activity, remember your preferences, maximize and improve the performance of our products and services, and customize your experience. For more information about GM’s use of tracking technologies, please see the OnStar Privacy Statement.
Limiting Marketing and Promotional Communications
You may choose to limit the marketing and promotional communications we send you. You can do this by contacting us at 1.888.4ONSTAR and selecting your contact preferences. We will also provide opt-out instructions in all of our promotional communication channels; for example, an Unsubscribe option will appear at the bottom of all marketing-related emails.
We use technical, administrative, and physical safeguards designed to protect your information and we require third party service providers to maintain similar safeguards against loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, destruction, or theft of your information.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to update this Privacy Statement from time to time for any reason. We will notify you of a material change to this Privacy Statement by placing a notice on www.onstar.com/privacy or within the Application on your Device, or by notifying you via email or postal mail.
If you would like to access or ensure the accuracy of your Account Information, please contact us as described below.
How to Contact OnStar
For general questions about the Application Services, visit www.onstar.com or call us 1.888.4.ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827). If you have questions about our privacy practices, contact the Privacy Manager by email at privacymanager@OnStar.com, by mail to OnStar Privacy Manager, P.O. Box 1027, Warren, Michigan, 48090-1027, or by calling us at 1.877.299.1372